Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More News than We Need

Listening to Helen Thomas. Interesting how the world really has changed when it comes to news. Technology has progressed to the point where the demand for info is so great that the filler has really dropped in quality and even truthfulness. Reporting rumors before checking the accuracy and the speed with which misinformation can spread.

New technology allows us more outlets to say things, but do we all have that much more to say? Sometimes i feel like it's just about filling in blank spaces. The big blank Facebook status staring back at me waiting for something. Anything. "Kinda blue today, but filling the voids with superficiallity."

I remember in college I talked to my parents once or twice a week. Now with texting and email I've heard parents and kids talk several times a day. Parents text their teens when they are out at night. It's hard for me to even imagine, but i don't have any teen yet so my mind probably will change in the future.

So maybe my generation is the last to sit down with their morning coffee and an actual newspaper. Or our grandchildren will give us that blank look when we tell them about magazines or having a paper route. It's the same look when i try to explain records to my kids. Or that when i was young we didn't have texting or even cell phones. Technology changes for sure, that's an inevitability, but does it really mean we have more interesting things to say? Or have our standards for what is interesting been greatly lowered?

No comments: